In Turkey October 2020‘also entered into force Social Media Law together with foreign-based companies in our country obligation to appoint a representative had been brought. Organizations that did not accept these regulations had to pay a fine of millions of lira. Now a similar move has come from Russia.
Russian Federal Information Technologies and Mass Media Supervision Agency (Roskomnadzor) gave 13 overseas-based IT companies, including Google and Apple, until the end of the year to open representative offices in the country.
Russia has published the list of companies it wants to open a representative office!
Roskomnadzor, on 1st of July With the enactment, 500 thousand per day Foreign-based IT companies that reach or exceed the number of visitors will open an office or Russia will appoint a representative who can deal with it. for this January 1, 2022He gave time until
The companies that will appoint representatives next month in the list published by Russia are as follows: Google, Apple, Meta (Facebook, Instagram, parent company of WhatsApp), Twitter, TikTok, Zoom, Viber, Spotify, Likeme Pte.Ltd., Discord, Pinterest, Twitch and Telegram.
Even if the listed companies open the requested representations Russia does not end its demands with this. Also for Russian users on their website to the feedback form place, to interact with public institutions of Roskomnadzor create account on site and its pages set a visitor counter was made mandatory.
What does the Social Media Law in force in our country aim at?
- Domestic and foreign social media platformssocial network providerRenamed ”.
- of users ROPE in addition to their addresses port information was also provided.
- Every social network provider At least one representative in Turkey presence was mandatory.
- In the first place, companies that do not have a representative in Turkey 1 to 10 million TL between, if at the end of 10 days 30 million TL administrative fine aimed to be implemented.
- In the first step, the providers who come to the last stage 50 percent, in the second step 90 percent bandwidth throttling penalty can be applied.
Many such things have actually been put into effect with thought in mind. So what do you think about this situation? Do you think states are justified in introducing these regulations? Don’t forget to share your views with us in the comments!