Vienna The Innsbruck public prosecutor has stopped investigations into the spread of corona in the Tyrolean winter sports resort of Ischgl. The authorities announced on Wednesday that no charges would be brought.
“There is no evidence that someone culpably did or failed to do something that would have increased the risk of infection,” said the prosecutor. This result has now also been checked by the Innsbruck Public Prosecutor, the Ministry of Justice and finally by the Board of Directors, it said.
In the winter sports resort of Ischgl, which is known for its party scene, a corona outbreak occurred in March 2020 in the middle of the ski season. Hundreds of Austrians and thousands of foreign holidaymakers, including many Germans, were probably infected in overcrowded après-ski bars, among other places. The holidaymakers who returned to their home countries then spread the virus across Europe. The place with its 11,000 guest beds has since been one of the hotspots for the spread of the virus.
According to the public prosecutor’s office, the preliminary investigation was last conducted against five people as accused. The investigation consists of 15,000 pages of minutes, reports and other evidence.
Top jobs of the day
Find the best jobs now and
be notified by email.
In order to understand and evaluate the processes, 27 people were questioned by the public prosecutor. In addition, the findings of the expert commission set up by the state of Tyrol had been taken into account.
More: With lockdown, Austria is increasing the pressure on the unvaccinated – and accepting radicalization