The popular instant messaging app, WhatsApp, sends messages and audio-video calls. end-to-end encryption with its technology. In this way, users protect their conversations from third-party services. In fact, according to the company’s claim, even WhatsApp cannot see the conversations. But end-to-end encryption has until now been limited to messages and cannot be used for backups.
This situation has changed. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement, “For WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups It started to be made available today,” he said. The new feature will not be activated by default in the WhatsApp application. You have to open it from the relevant parts. In our guide “How to make encrypted backup on WhatsApp?” We answered the question.
WhatsApp imposes password requirement for encrypted backup
First of all, to back up your chats with end-to-end encryption “must not forget” You are prompted to choose a password. During WhatsApp backup restore, set password will need to enter told. He also stated that you cannot retrieve messages if you forget them. Therefore, it is useful to be careful when setting a password.
First, update WhatsApp to the latest version via Play Store or App Store. Then by following the steps below end-to-end encrypted backup feature You can activate:
- Open WhatsApp settings.
- Chats > Chat Backup > End-to-End Encrypted Backup enter section.
- When you receive a warning Continue’Click a.
- Proceed with either a password or a 64-digit encryption key. You can press whichever you want to create.
- Finally Finished Press the button. Depending on your internet speed, the backup will take a few minutes to complete.
After turning on the encrypted backup feature in WhatsApp, your chats Safely on Google Drive or iCloud will be hidden. According to Mark Zuckerberg’s statement, neither WhatsApp nor the service provider you use to back up messages won’t be able to read. The same goes for messages and calls protected with end-to-end encryption.
Although it is not recommended, you can always turn off the encrypted backup feature in WhatsApp settings. For this, follow the steps below:
- SettingsOpen .
- Chats > Chat Backup > End-to-End Encrypted Backup enter the section.
- Close Tap .
- Enter your password.
- To confirm that you want to turn off end-to-end encrypted backup CloseTap .