Google celebrates its 15th anniversary in Turkey. Continuing to work with the mission of “Being by Turkey’s Side in the Journey of Digitalization”, Google Turkey office has developed many projects and products for local needs in the fields of economy, education and culture, including the pandemic process, in order to facilitate, inform and improve the lives of users for 15 years.
With the press conference held with the participation of Google Turkey Country Director Mehmet Keteloğlu, the company shared its evaluation of its 15 years in Turkey. At the meeting, Google Turkey Corporate Communications Director Sırma Süren, Google Turkey Public Affairs Managers Erkan Kaptan and Zeynep Güven also gave information about the contributions of the company to the country’s economy in Turkey, applications for young people, the projects it has developed for the digitalization of SMEs during the pandemic, and its support to the arts.
The way of the future is through the growth of the digital economy
Until today, Google has developed many products and projects for local needs in the fields of economy, education and culture in order to facilitate, inform and develop the lives of many different segments of the society, from businesses to students and teachers, from entrepreneurs to tradesmen and SMEs, even during the pandemic period.
A total of 12 million dollars, consisting of SMEs, digital tools, talents, advertising loans provided to public institutions, a grant of 500 thousand dollars and a 3 million dollars loan to the Confederation of Turkish Tradesmen and Craftsmen, within the scope of the Tradesmen Making a Difference with Digital Transformation program, implemented with the support of the TR Ministry of Commerce. backed by a financial contribution.
With the Google Digital Turkey Platform, 1.5 million individuals and tradesmen are offered many free solutions that will accelerate their digitalization journey. In order to support the digitalization of the tourism sector, in cooperation with the Turkish Hoteliers Federation (TÜROFED), thousands of tourism businesses and employees were provided with the necessary skills and insights for digital transformation.
15 years of contribution in numbers
- The digital ecosystem, which Google has contributed to its development in Turkey, has created a total of 1.4 million jobs to date.
- The share of the digital economy supported by Google in national income has exceeded 4% and reached 150 billion TL. It is predicted that this share will reach 4.7 percent in 2023.
- Google Turkey contributes to the formation of an ecosystem in which a total of 143.9 billion TL of economic activity is created.
- It is predicted that the contribution of the ecosystem to the Turkish economy will increase more than 2 times in 5 years.
- The Android ecosystem, which liberates access to technology and allows local players to move to the global market, also contributes 83 billion TL to the Turkish economy and supports the employment of 750 thousand people.
- Android’s contribution to the Turkish economy, which made up 2.3 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) in 2018, is expected to reach 193 billion TL in 2023 and constitute 2.7 percent of the gross domestic product.